So you know what I think would totally be fun? If I got really depressed, which would then have you check into a mental ward (okay, it's called a psychiatric hospital facility or whatever, but we all know what that means), and throw away your practically perfect academic life, and your...merely functional social life. Afterwards, this guy, Ned Vizzini, can TOTALLY write a book about it, I think he'll call it It's Kind of a Funny Story (By the way the book will turn into a movie). And the best part? You wouldn't be able to eat sleep or enjoy yourself at all, but everyone would LOVE your story!
Now Craig, you're probably thinking this is crazy (well, I have to say, I kind of am, which explains why you're in a loony bin in the first place...), but I think that what you SHOULD be thinking about, is why people would love this story so much, anyway? I mean, what's so fascinating about a depressed teenager? We meet crazy, depressed, neurotic people all the time (whether we know they're crazy/neurotic/depressed or not, is another story) so it shouldn't really be that big of a deal, right? I totally agree Craig, but I don't think the rest of the world feels that way.
Maybe it's the things that you're going through, I mean, we never really notice how lovely and beautiful and heartbreaking and hilarious our lives are until we make a story out of them. Because really, being depressed may be a major thing, but it's not uncommon, and in reality, you're life could easily be that of any random person on the street. And that's the beauty in your story, Craig. You could be anyone, you ARE anyone, and everyone. Because really, we're all insane. We're all animal. Like Humble said 'We're all created equal, but some of us are created more animal'. Some of us may be a little more insane than the other, but we're all messed up. Why else would we try to figure out this complex, terrible, wonderful, scary thing call life? Why would we even bother with it?
That's exactly why you wanted to stop living. Because you realized how insane it was to keep trying to live. You can't manage everything-no one can. But even if life doesn't require people to be perfect, we all know it's expected. Normal people aren't liked, Craig. Only the people that give up everything wonderful to be perfect. (Or as close as possible). So why are you being called crazy? You're the most sane of them. You realized how messed up everything in life is, and you were doing a rational thing, you were being normal, and trying to get out of a situation you can't handle. But still, you're the one who's labeled as crazy. Why is that? They're all the crazy ones, for trying to live. They're like lab rat's in a rigged maze.
But you don't need to listen to me, you still have to get through this journey, I mean, your story isn't over yet, and every book needs an ending.
I just hope you get out alive.
GET WELL SOON!
Love,
Your Brain.
"I mean, we never really notice how lovely and beautiful and heartbreaking and hilarious our lives are until we make a story out of them"
ReplyDeletethis sentence is *packed* with meaning!!