Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Charlotte's Web Post.

In class, we read Charlotte's web as a 'childhood favorite reread'. At first, I wasn't too excited. A book about a pig and his genius spider friend didn't seem to deep and meaningful to me. I was wrong. It seems that children's books can be more packed with deeper meanings than suspected.
To me, Charlotte's web was a way to reconnect with a book I'd read, (and hated) as a child, but as I read it for a second time, I began to notice things I hadn't seen before. I started to look into the morals that were given, and the way E.B White seemed to make you do a double take and say "Why would Fern/Wilbur/Charlotte/Whoever say something like that? What does that mean?". You start to question what's right and what's wrong, as a person. The way the Fern saved Wilbur, possibly only because he was vulnerable. It made me think about whether she would save him, if he were just a big normal, healthy pig.
I loved the characters in this book. They were all so charming and cute. Wilbur, a little runt when we first meet him, develops and matures wonderfully, and stays adorable and loveable as ever. And Charlotte, a beautiful spider, more like a mother than anything else.
The story is told simply, without any fancy words or metaphors or complicated things, (though to me, the book, in itself is one huge metaphor) but somehow, it's beautiful and somewhat complex. Everything is about growing up, what's wrong and right, and a loss of innocence. Charlotte's Web talks a lot about death, but somehow, it's still lovely, and a book that makes me happy everytime I read it.
It's a delightful class assignment, and a feel-good book to reread all the time.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job, Nathalie. You have great voice in your writing. I'm glad this was a good reading experience for you!

    ReplyDelete