Monday, November 29, 2010

Magical Mistakes

So...I know that I might face possible Ms.Robbins Jail Time or public reader's shunning or something, but...I totally didn't read this week.
BUT!
I have an explenation: for the past four days I've been sick, and I couldn't do anything but mope in bed and be sickly. It was bad. Really bad. Also for another three days I've been in a terrible bookless state. (I searched the classroom library, and my own library for like fifteen days but nothing struck me as interesting).
Alas, I was in a 'all the good books that ever existed died in a terrible fire of terror' state.
So for the part of the week that I was actually physically capable to read, I read this biography about Nikola Tesla which was really good but totally non-thought provoking/inspiringly magical.
I mean, he's a really interesting guy, he had a really interesting life, but this book was...lame sometimes.
There was no pizaz, or spunk or spark. I mean, even a non-fiction book can be exiting, right?
This, was not.
The book kind of went like this "Nikola Tesla blah blah history history". Somehow, on the fiftieth page I decided, if this book wasn't going to excite my inner reader, I would.
So I thought of everything I learned from this book.
A lot.
Nikola Tesla was a total genius, but had a lot of nervous and psychological/mental problems. The lack of documentation on his past makes him a man shrouded in mystery. More facts, blah blah blah.
So then I decided to think deeper about the FACTS, and make THAT interesting.
I realized, most geniuses are usually pretty much sociopaths or have some small form of a mental disorder.
Why is that?
Does your brain erase the common-sense part of it to have more room for crazy genius facts?
Tesla had a pretty dark past, so maybe the fact that he dealt with what he did caused his mental issues, which actually HELPED him strive as an inventor/mad genius.
He had OCD, might have had schizophrenia, often had hallucinations, photographic memory and a multitude of other medical phenomena, and they all contributed to making him successful as an electrician/inventor/genius.
So I thought, maybe our faults help us become better people? That might be something I can get out of this totally lame book...Because it's true. Every mistake we've ever made has brought us closer to success. Every fault we have kind of makes our good sides better. Maybe the fact that I'm really moody makes it easier for me to write plays that are super dramatic and complicated. Maybe the experience we've had, be it negative or positive, have helped us be better equipped to go out into to the world.

So yeah, I did read a book. Not my favorite, not something I would suggest unless you're seriously into the informative non-thought provoking, but I definitely got something out of it.
It was a good mistake.

2 comments:

  1. nathalie, you have such a voice in your writing! i love it:)

    the end was fantastic, how you mentioned that it was a good mistake, i'm jealous i never thought of an idea like that! while you say that what you read was not thought provoking, it seems as though your writing was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear nathalie and max and noah,
    good news and bad news, which one do you want to hear first?

    **
    BAD NEWS:
    this post was SO super-duper good,it made me forget! When I started out reading it, I made a mental list of books to recommend to you(since you couldn't find one you liked). But as I progressed in your entry, I slowly forgot all of them, but two(because your post was the best). These books are called PAPER TOWNS by John Green and MEMOIRS OF A TEENAGE AMNESIAC by Gabrielle Zevin.
    **

    **
    GOOD NEWS:
    your posts always are great! You can do just the thing i have a hard time with: wrapping up your thoughts. You always have this great way,in all your posts, of allowing your message to shine through!
    **

    epic post
    love
    ferny

    ReplyDelete